Creating your own item [GUIDE]

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by benn, Dec 7, 2016.

?

Did you find the guide useful

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. benn

benn Active Member

-GUIDE-
    Creating Your Own Items

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Requirements
    -
    Microsoft Paint

Template of Pixel Worlds player
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Creativity
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The template I have provided took me around an hour to make and I tried to make it as detailed as possible.
    All you have to do is save or copy the template and paste or open it on Microsoft Paint.
    Next, using the Magnifying glass in the tools bar. Zoom in to the max.
    Next, select your colors and use the pencil tool and start working on your item designs
    -
    Hope this thread has helped you
    If there is any problem with the template, let me know I will fix it.
    If you are to use my template to post in one of your guides, please credit me or ask for my permission.
    Obviously, Paint may not be a application that is suitable for all. If you want to go on a more advanced application, go for Photoshop, Gimp and Paint.Net as they have the transparent background and layering function
    Applications Avaliable to use
    Mac:
    Adobe Photoshop:
    Not Free. Good for pixel art and graphics outside pixel art. Very stable program and will almost never crash. Compatible with gifs and layers. If you have the money for it I would highly recommend buying it.

GIMP:
    Free. Has many of the features Photoshop does, and is a good free alternative, less stable however and may crash more frequently. Compatible with gifs and layers. When I downloaded it I had trouble changing the language from a default of Arabic to English, and never ended up being able to fix it, after a bit of research it also appeared that others had the same problem. This did not seem to be an issue for Windows users.

Pixen:
    Free. Good exclusively for pixel art. May crash frequently, when I used Pixen it crashed very often, and I ended up losing a lot of progress on pieces if I did not remember to save frequently. Compatible with gifs and layers.

Paintbrush:
    Free. Good exclusively for pixel art. May crash frequently. Not gif or layer compatible. This is currently the program I use the most. I Would recommend for people who like a simple program that only does the necessities.

Grafx2:
    Free. Good exclusively for pixel art. Very stable and will not crash frequently. Gif and layer compatible. It is also a pretty simple program, all the GUIs are pixel art which makes understanding a lot of the functions difficult to find, so it will take time for you to really get used to it.

Pinta:
    Free. Good for pixel art and graphics outside pixel art. Very stable program and will almost never crash. Compatible with gifs and layers. Modeled after Paint.NET and is pretty much the closed Mac program you can get to Paint.NET.

Sketchbook Pro:
    There is a free version, but the paid is much better. Good exclusively for art outside of pixel art. Very stable program and will almost never crash. Compatible with layers.

Windows:

Adobe Photoshop:
    Not Free. Good for pixel art and graphics outside pixel art. Very stable program and will almost never crash. Compatible with gifs and layers. If you have the money for it I would highly recommend buying it.

GIMP:
    Free. Has many of the features Photoshop does, and is a good free alternative, less stable however and may crash more frequently. Compatible with gifs and layers.

Grafx2:
    Free. Good exclusively for pixel art. Very stable and will not crash frequently. Gif and layer compatible. It is also a pretty simple program, all the GUIs are pixel art which makes understanding a lot of the functions difficult to find, so it will take time for you to really get used to it.

Pinta:
    Free. Good for pixel art and graphics outside pixel art. Very stable program and will almost never crash. Compatible with gifs and layers. Modeled after Paint.NETand is pretty much the closed Mac/Windows program you can get to Paint.NET. I personally would recommend just getting Paint.NET if you have a Windows computer

Paint.NET:
    Free. Good for pixel art and graphics outside pixel art. Very stable program and will almost never crash. Compatible with gifs and layers. I use this program on my Windows computer, and it is in my opinion, the best pixel art program for windows.

iOS:

Note that generally Graphics apps don't have anywhere near the quality that programs on a Mac/Windows have. If you feel more comfortable being able to draw with a pen I would recommend purchasing a tablet made for that sort of thing. I can't say that I would recommend spending money on any iOS art program if you are able to download a free program on your computer. Not saying that you absolutely shouldn't, because there are some people that do like iOS art programs, but personally I would recommend a Wacom Tablet hooked up to a computer if you are looking for that drawing feel.

Art Studio:
    Not Free. Layer capabilities. Good for pixel art and graphics outside pixel art. If you really want to do pixel art on an iPad (for the love of god use a iOS tablet for this, don't use it on an iPhone...) I would highly recommend this app above all others, as would anyone else who does their pixel art on an iDevice. Well worth the $5.

Sketchbook Pro:
    There is a free version, but the paid is much better. Good exclusively for art outside of pixel art. Very stable program and will almost never crash. Compatible with layers. If you are just interested in sketching and painting I'd recommend this over Art Studio, it is much easier to use and it functions feel much more natural.

-Benn

IF YOU THINK THAT MY GUIDE WAS HELPFUL, FEEL FREE TO LIKE THE GUIDE
    ---
    Community Assests Pack by Jake

http://forums.portalworldsgame.com/index.php?threads/community-assets-and-policy-for-their-use.8047/

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    Polar, Rnox, SEAF and 8 others like this.
  2. _TheLegend_

_TheLegend_ Active Member

Wow! Cool dude i really need it. No one could give me the character. Thanks alot! Maybe other peoples will need it too.

3. benn

benn Active Member

Glad you appreciated it! I tried to keep it as detailed as possible with the color schemes.

4. Aypifox

Aypifox Active Member

Thanks! Sadly I'm bad at Creating things just look my signature xD

5. _TheLegend_

Cool that you've changed.

6. benn

benn Active Member

Its actually really easy to pick up with some practise. There are tons of guides online on Pixel Art too.

7. Barzagli

Barzagli Active Member

Thanks alot!

8. FIRE

FIRE Well-Known Member

Great template. I can finally design my own items so that I can suggest them to PW. :)

9. _TheLegend_

Well, i could help Aypifox on that problem, but probably you don't want to do pixel art or do you?

10. benn

benn Active Member

Just edited the thread layout. Hope it will be easier to read now.

11. _TheLegend_

I saw it. It was cool.

12. benn

benn Active Member

Thanks. I will be getting to sleep now. Hope I can see some designs when I wake up.

13. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

Awesome! I will surely experiment with this thread's image! :D
    (The microsoft paint image isn't loading, is that me or the thread?)o_O

14. benn

benn Active Member

It works on my phone. Might be you? If others have the same problem, I will fix it up later.

Tyler likes this.
  15. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

I'm on a computer currently

16. benn

benn Active Member

Oh. I will have to edit it most probably tomorrow. It's minor anyways. As long as there is a template.

17. _TheLegend_

Why it's green? Could you change it to normal, please?

18. benn

benn Active Member

Sure. I will make two versions of it. Give me some time. It's like 2am here

Tyler likes this.
  19. _TheLegend_

I can wait.

20. _TheLegend_

Is it almost done?